Lamington Cupcakes Recipe
When I first moved to Australia, my newly acquired friend Faten put together an adorable care package for me. “This is everything you need to survive in Oz”, she said. It contained some very strange things, such as vegemite, a slang dictionary and one itm in particular that turned out to be really useful, a very long brush (similar to the ones we use to clean toilet) made specifically to clean spider webs in hard to reach places, classic Australia. But mostly, it contained delicious sweets Aussies love: tim tams, vovos, anzac biscuits and, of coarse, lamingtons. I was love at first bite.
Lamingtons (lammos for short) are a traditional Australian dessert made from sponge cake, cut into squares and then dipped in chocolate icing and covered in fine desiccated coconut. Is believed to have been created by a maid-servant to Lord Lamington, the eighth Governor of Queensland.
A lamington cupcake is one modern take of the classic dessert, but certainly is not the only one. You can find lamington macarons, ice cream, roulade, cheesecake, loaf, panna cotta, truffles, cookies… the list goes on and on.
For my experiment today, I decided to deviate from the norm and I made a fluffy chocolate cake batter and added coconut extract, oil and cream for some extra coconutyness and instead of fine desiccated coconut, I went with the shaved kind, just ’cause I like the crunch better.
- 240 g flour
- 200 g sugar
- 75 g cocoa powder
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp salt
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup coconut milk
- 1/2 cup coconut oil
- 1 tbsp coconut extract
- 200 g dark chocolate melts
- 200 g shaved coconut (use desiccated for a more traditional look)
- Sift dry ingredients together
- Whisk eggs, milk, oil and extract
- Add dry ingredients to wet in increments, mixing well until smooth
- Divide batter equally into cupcake molds
- Bake at 180* for 8 to 12 minutes or until a skewer inserted in the middle comes out clean
- Melt dark chocolate in microwave in increments of 30 seconds, mixing well in between
- Dip top of cupcake into the dark chocolate
- Sprinkle shaved coconut on top